Woodland Joint Unified School District is committed to saving energy and money by reducing our consumption of electricity, natural gas, and water. The Board of Trustees has approved an Energy Management/ Conservation Policy Statement and has adopted an Administrative Regulation (3511.1) on energy conservation that demonstrates the district’s commitment to conserve and use as little energy as necessary.
The following simple, yet effective steps are examples of energy-saving guidelines our staff is being asked to follow:
- Set thermostats at 68-70 degrees when in heating mode
- Set thermostats at 74 degrees when in cooling mode
- Turn off lights when leaving an area
- Turn off monitor(s) when leaving an area
- At the end of the day, turn off computer(s), printer(s), speakers, monitor(s) and other applicable equipment
- As lighting conditions allow, use natural light when possible
- Use one or two lamp switching as opposed to all lights being on when possible
- Do not turn anything on unless using it
The Policy Statement and full set of guidelines included in AR 3511.1 can be found here (scroll down, select 3511.1).
13 of our schools, and the district office, have been awarded the ENERGY STAR! That means that, as far as energy goes, these buildings perform in the top 25% of all schools nationwide! Plaques were awarded to site Principals during the regular Board meeting on December 9, 2010 with coverage provided by KCRA-3. Their story can be seen here (link to external website used with permission from KCRA-3). It's nice to get some outside recognition for our efforts. Please see the press release here for more information. We are also an ENERGY STAR Leader Top Performer, meaning that the score of our entire portfolio is in the top 25%, and a 20% Improvement Award winner for decreasing our energy usage 28% in 2010. Keep up the great work!
Interested in tracking your energy use at your home, church, or business? Want to see how you stack up against your neighbors? Click the GreenQuest button on the right to get started.
Feel free to set up an account. If you'd like to see GreenQuest in action, call or email (email@example.com) and I'll be happy to provide you a one-on-one tutorial, a class lesson, and/or show you a demo account that's already set up.
Rob Hutchinson, Energy Manager