skip to main content

Intra-district Open Enrollment and Inter-district Transfer Information

K-12 Intra-District (within WJUSD) Transfer

What is an Intra-District Transfer?

Intra-District Transfer is a process to request a school other than your neighborhood school. If there are available spaces, Intra-District Transfer acceptance will be determined by a computer-generated random lottery process.  Not all who apply will be accepted. Should you be accepted, your new school will become your school of residence. (Board Policy 5116.1)

Students currently enrolled in the District do not have to re-enroll. Every attempt will be made to place new students at their neighborhood school. However, the District cannot guarantee placement and reserves the right to place new students at other schools (for the balance of the current school year) within the Woodland Joint Unified School District as necessary when a grade-level enrollment capacity is reached at a particular school.

Enrollment at your neighborhood school is on a first come, first served basis, excluding the new school in the Spring Lake Area. The new school will enroll students through the Open Enrollment process, which will be determined by a random lottery to fill available spaces. To participate in Open Enrollment, your student must be enrolled at your existing neighborhood school first.

We are excited to offer parents a choice of excellent schools. Families who reside in the Woodland Unified School District have the opportunity to enroll students in any of the District’s schools providing:
  • Space is available, and 
  • Families are willing to provide their own transportation.
K-12 Inter-District (outside WJUSD) Transfer

Inter-District Agreements (IDA) are renewed annually for outgoing or incoming students to the WJUSD. The WJUSD will start accepting IDAs for the 2019-2020 school year beginning on March 1.

Students who reside in one district may choose to attend school in another district. The District must complete the Intra-district Transfer process first, before the Inter-district Transfers are considered. An "Inter-District Agreement (IDA)" form must be obtained from the District Office of residency, and returned to that same office for processing before a request will be considered from our District.
If your Incoming IDA transfer was previously approved and was based on employment, an annual employment verification must be submitted, along with proof of employment.
Please print the appropriate form to be submitted to Enrollment Services Department:
  • Eng-Incoming IDA Employment Verification
  • Sp-Incoming IDA Employment Verification
The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for Inter-District Agreement (IDA) if the school's facilities are overcrowded at the relevant grade level and based on other considerations that are not arbitrary.

Students who are under consideration for expulsion or who have been expelled may not appeal Inter-District Agreement (IDA) denials or decisions while expulsion proceedings are pending, or during the term of the expulsion. (Education Code 35160.5)

The District does not provide transportation for students on an Inter-District Agreement (IDA). (Board Policy 5117)

An annual application must be submitted. If requesting to attend WJUSD, contact your district of residence to start the process. If requesting to transfer out of WJUSD, contact Adriana Gomez in Enrollment Services, at (530) 406-3240 [FAX (530) 669-3212] or by Email or you can print the applicable PDF forms listed on the left.

Please print the appropriate form to be submitted to Enrollment Services Department:
  • Outgoing IDA Application-Eng-Sp form (to apply for attendance outside the Woodland School District)

  • Employment Outgoing IDA Verification form (REQUIRED for employment reasons, along with proof of employment.  Please read for more information.)

  • Child Care Outgoing IDA Verification-Eng-Sp form (REQUIRED for childcare reasons)

The deadline to submit a new IDA request for the 2019-2020 school year is September 30, 2019. Please note that this deadline does not apply to students currently enrolled in WJUSD. Currently enrolled students who move out of Woodland must apply for an Interdistrict Transfer in order to remain enrolled in WJUSD.