skip to main content
Homeless/McKinney Vento 

Homeless/McKinney Vento 

The term homeless children and youth means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This definition also includes:
•    Children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason
•    Children who may be living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, shelters, or awaiting foster care placement
•    Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
•    Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, or similar settings
•    Unaccompanied youth not in the presence of parent or guardian

Eligible students have:
•    The Right to immediate school enrollment even when records are not present
•    Support with the school enrollment process
•    Support in deciding which school is best for your child(ren) 
•    Support in obtaining basic school supplies, supplemental services and free school meals for your child(ren) 
•    Resources in providing children public transportation to and from the school  
•    Referrals to necessary resources in the community 
If you feel you may qualify or have further questions please contact Rosie Caraveo Homeless/Foster Liaison at 530-406-3266
girl with a backpackgirl with a backpack
Foster Youth

Foster Youth

Who qualifies as a foster youth?
•    Children/youth who are dependents of the Dependency section of the juvenile court
•    Children/youth residing in out of home placement as ordered by the Delinquency section of the Juvenile Court,
Enrollment Rights
•    WJUSD will enroll a foster child immediately even if the foster child is unable to produce records such as previous academic records, medical records, proof of residency, other documentation
•    To ensure a student’s appropriate school placement, we encourage all relevant documents be provided at the time of enrollment if possible. 
School of Origin Rights
•    When a home placement change occurs, a foster child is allowed to remain in his/her school of origin while under the jurisdiction of the court. 
•    If a foster child exits foster care mid-year they are allowed to remain in his/her school of origin for the duration of the school year. 
•    High school students whose court jurisdiction terminates while they are in high school, can remain in their school of origin through graduation.