Expanded Learning Program
Woodland Joint Unified School District is proud to offer our new Expanding Learning Programs that includes the Expanding Minds sites, and the YMCA (Zamora and Spring Lake). Expanding Minds programs will be offered at the following elementary school sites: Beamer, Dingle, Freeman, Gibson, Maxwell, Plainfield, Tafoya, Whitehead, and Woodland Prairie. The Expanding Minds and YMCA programs are funded through a state grant and are open until 6:00 pm every school day. The program starts immediately after school and consists of homework support, intervention, enrichment, recreation and a nutritious snack. Our mission is to create an enriching, safe, academic and fun environment, conducive to learning, that will impact students’ education and lives in a positive manner. The program is open to students from transitional kindergarten (TK) to sixth grade.
All WJUSD elementary students are eligible to participate in this free program.
New Enrichment Partnerships Coming Soon to Expanding Minds sites:
- Little Heroes- rescue recess, intramurals, and student leadership
- I-Cook- Cooking classes and financial literacy
- Legos for Education- robotics, and engineering
- Yolo Farm to Fork- school gardening
- Woodland Opera House- dance and theater
- Robotify- coding
Students who are enrolled in the former ASES program, for the 2022-23 school year, will automatically be enrolled into the new Extended Learning program. If your child attends on of the following schools (Beamer, Dingle, Freeman, Gibson, Maxwell, Plainfield, Tafoya, Whitehead and Woodland Prairie) and you are interested in our program for a student not currently enrolled, please fill out our interest form below.
Zamora Elementary and Spring Lake Elementary:
YMCA is providing the expanded learning program for Zamora and Spring Lake students.
Science & Technology (Sci-Tech) Elementary Charter School:
The principal, Maria Maritinez, will be sending more information for Sci-Tech students soon as the charter school receives separate funding and manages its own program.
Keep in mind all new Expanding Minds after-school enrollment will be placed on a waitlist after registering your child. This is due to statewide staffing challenges, there may be delays in enrollment, as we do not have enough tutors to serve all interested students at this time. We are working on hiring additional staff based on interest/enrollment. As we acquire additional tutors, we will continue enrolling students off the waitlist. Your school's expanded learning site support specialist (formly ASES coordinator) will follow up as soon as possible to begin enrollment. We aim to provide after school programs to all students as soon as possible, and to minimize time on the waitlist.
For more information contact:
Expanded Learning Coordinator
Or contact the Expanded Learning Site Support Specialists at each school site:
- Beamer Elementary: Corina Cortez 530-681-7919 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dingle Elementary: Ashlynn Gardner 530-867-1996 email@example.com
- Freeman Elementary: Laura Killion 530-867-2107 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gibson Elementary: Briseyda Gutierrez 530-341-7695 email@example.com
- Maxwell Elementary: Alexandra Diaz 530-867-2147 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plainfield Elementary: Eduardo Gonzalez 530-723-8425 email@example.com
- Tafoya Elementary: Katie Bruner 530-867-2150 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whitehead Elementary: Monica Coronado 530-867-2182 email@example.com
- Woodland Prairie Elementary: Destiny Garcia 530-723-0872 firstname.lastname@example.org
Expanded Learning Program Plan (in development)
More information will be coming regarding Expanded Learning Intersession and Summer Programs for the 2023 year. All are welcome!
- Educational Options
- Family Programs
- College and Career Readiness
- More Programs